Recipe – Mediterranean pizza
I love making pizza at home. I enjoy it, mostly because it’s not very often you find a delivery joint that’s willing to spend the kind of scratch I’m willing to spend on for premium olives, spices and cheeses.
Don’t get me wrong, I love a good greasy slice of delivery, but most of the time, I enjoy making my own pizza, mostly because I can control the crispiness of the crust and the bite on the sauce. When I’m pressed for time and want to whip a pizza out quickly, I doctor up sauces and opt for a pre-made crust. Since my wife is a surgeon, we’re often pressed for time and opt for quicker meals that we can whip through quickly. It leaves more time for good conversation and catching up on one another’s work lives. On a good day, one of us will have pre-heated the oven and will be already at work on doctoring sauces and flavoring a crust before the other has hit the driveway.
On this particular evening, we opted for a Mediterranean-style pizza. My side was heavy on olives and feta, while hers tossed mushrooms into the mix.
- 1 Boboli 12-inch pizza crust
- 1 packet of Boboli pre-made pizza sauce
- Garlic Salt, Basil, Olive Oil, Red Pepper Flakes, Oregano, Italian Parsley
- 6 to 8 jumbo Greek black olives
- 6 to 8 jumbo Green Sicilian Olives
- 6 to 8 chopped white mushrooms
- 4 to 6 sliced cherry or Roma tomatoes
- 2 cups Mozarella cheese (shredded)
1. Preheat your oven to 450, leaving a large seasoned pizza stone inside to warm. This is the key to a nice crispy crust.
2. Remove crust from packaging and dust with garlic salt and other herbs. Add pre-packaged sauce and spread evenly across crust. Dust with additional herbs and add crushed red pepper flakes to add a little heat.
3. Add cheese and toppings, spreading evenly.
4. Dust top of pizza with oregano and a splash of olive oil. Ring crust with Olive Oil laced with Garlic salt
5. Place pizza on stone and bake for 11 to 13 minutes.
It’s really simple, and really fast and tastes so much better than the delivery 90 percent of the time. The olives and simple herbs really make this baby sing.
Couldn’t be easier. Get cooking. Oh, and I promise to give you guys my homemade crust and sauce recipe next time. I’ve recently gotten into grilling my pizzas. Very cool technique. Happy eating.