Food Review – Starbucks Breakfast Sandwiches
My friend Sheena told me that the Starbucks Breakfast Sandwiches have actually been around for quite some time and that they were pulled off the menu for a while because they allegedly, “interfered” with the smell of the coffee.
Either way, I never had one when the sandwiches were first introduced and since I boycotted Starbucks for many, many years, I wouldn’t have tried it anyway. Recently I’ve gotten into grabbing the occasional, fastly becoming more frequent Cafe Americano on my morning drive. I’m admittedly drained after the commute and in Warren, it’s one of the only coffee joints in business that I can have drive through coffee at. Though, I may switch back to Tim Hortons because I believe I’m secretly Canadian.
At any rate, I was treated to a free sample of one of the said sandwiches on Wednesday morning. I ate it on the remainder of my drive into the office and was reasonably surprised. So, the next day I vowed to get one for breakfast and give it a go. There were several options, but I eschewed my initial desire to be gourmet and light (Eggs Florentine) and opted instead for a stick-to-your-ribs breakfast sandwich: The Sausage, Egg and Cheddar.
1. The Price – $2.95 here in the Mitten.
2. The fact that the cheese was actually melted into the egg and sausage, something McDonald’s has never done on any Egg McMuffin I’ve ever ordered.
3. The whole wheat English Muffin it was served on was very crispy.
4. Portion was appropriate and filled the little bellyache going on in my tummy.
1. Could have been warmer. I like my eggs to have a little bit of heat to them. I start to lose interest in eating eggs if they even become faintly chilly. I realize this is a difficult task for fast food, but I had a five minute ride to the office from Starbucks.
2. Too much cheese. And that’s saying a lot for me, because I love the stuff. Still, it was oozing over the sides and the grease was soaking the sides of my once crispy English Muffin.
3. A tad salty. Again, I realize this is a lot to ask from a fast food joint, but come on… I shouldn’t have to drink a liter of water to feel rehydrated after I’m done.
I’d eat it again. I don’t normally eat breakfasts, which I’ve mentioned in other posts, but I’d grab a Starbucks Breakfast Sandwich before I ever grab another Egg McMuffin.