Recipe – Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and Drunken Strawberries
Normally, I’m not one for dessert, but when it comes to vanilla ice cream, I’m known to splurge from time to time. This particular combination combines the simple flavors of vanilla and highlights them with mint, strawberries soaked in chardonnay and some crumbled brownie (or cookies if you don’t have brownie bits). I made it for my wife and one of her friends the other night, and it was a big hit. So easy, so simple and soooo good.
Here we go.
- 2 or three scoops organic vanilla bean ice cream
- 1 sprig of mint
- 6 large strawberries cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup of Chardonnay
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Your chocolate cookie of choice crumbled
1. Prior to serving, I like to add the sugar, strawberries and chardonnay into a zippered sandwich bag and give them a good toss. Allow the flavors to merry for 15 minutes or so. This step isn’t necessary, but it really allows the wine to get the berries good and drunk.
2. Crumble your cookies with a chef’s knife. (We used bite sized oreos with the cream removed for this particular evening).
3. Scoop out your ice cream and drizzle it with the berries. Omit the wine, unless you feel like drunken vanilla bean strawberry soup.
4. Top with the cookies and add a fresh sprig of mint to help marry everything nicely.
That’s all she wrote. Sorry this post was so short and sweet, but even yours truly can get a sweet tooth every now and again.