Recipe – Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Burrito
For some time now, Vita has had to watch me mixing Chorizo in with my eggs. I go on and on about how delicious it is, giggling that she can’t eat it because of the beef or pork content. She’s never wanted to try Soy-Rizo, but thankfully, I came across some Turkey and Chicken Chorizo that was pre-cooked. So, after our Tuesday morning workout, we did some slicing and dicing and Vita was introduced to the wonderful world of spicy Chorizo, packed into an awesome little breakfast burrito.
I know it’s not gluten free, but I was feeling brave and had some Mission Carb-Lite tortillas. No problem to report.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large pre-cooked turkey and chicken chorizo link cut into rounds and quartered
- 1/2 an orange bell pepper – diced
- Black and Manzanila Olives – sliced
- 1/4 Spanish onion – diced
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- A splash of milk
- 1/4 cup of your favorite Mexican blend cheese
- Two burrito sized tortillas
- Two tablespoons fresh salsa
- Fresh cilantro to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add diced onion, bell pepper and salt and pepper. Cook until onions become translucent.
2. Add olive and chorizo to the pan with your veggies and cook until your sausage is warmed through.
3. In a separate pan, crack eggs and mix with splash of milk. Heat over medium high until first of the eggs begin to solidify. Turn off heat and begin to scramble the eggs, adding chili powder, salt and pepper to taste. Once most of your eggs have scrambled add the cheese.
4. Combine your ingredients in a tortilla shell, top with a spoonful or two of your favorite salsa. If you have it, a couple leaves of fresh cilantro make this a real treat.
It’s spicy, it’s hearty and it’s probably the best thing I’ve had for breakfast in a very long time.