Recipe – Spätzle with Parmesan and Parsley
Vita and I have been craving hearty, comfort foods lately and while we were watching Guy Fieri on Food Network Saturday morning, we caught this recipe. This is the perfect pairing for our Chicken Jägerschnitzel and it turned out amazing.
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 3/4 cups flour, plus extra for kneading
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 quarts low sodium chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium bowl, combine water, flour, eggs and salt with a wooden spoon. Place dough mixture on a clean cutting board. Flour both sides of the dough and roll into a long rectangle, approximately 12 by 2-inches and 1/8-inch thick. With pizza cutter, cut into strips, 2-inches in length and 1/4-inch wide.
2. Bring chicken stock to a boil in a large saucepan. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Drop spätzle in batches into boiling stock and cook until pasta floats to the surface. Remove and immediately transfer to the ice bath. Drain spätzle and hold on sheet pan. Continue with the other batches.
3. Once you’ve completed the cooking, in a medium saute pan, add butter, and melt over medium heat until butter turns a light brown. Add garlic and cook until it becomes lightly colored. Add spätzle to the pan to heat through. Add parsley, cheese, salt and pepper, to taste.
It’s really wonderful, very filling and is pretty simple. If you’ve never made your own noodles, this is a great dish to give it a go. It can be made gluten free with Red Mill flour as well.